‘MANOHARA, I ORDER YOU TO RETURN’
It was a whirlwind romance which culminated in a fairytale wedding. But just months later, the royal marriage is on the rocks.
The ravishing former 17-year-old Indonesian model had publicly exposed the alleged torture she endured at the hands of her 32-year-old husband.
According to Manohara Odelia Pinot, her husband Tengku Muhammad Fakhry was anything but prince charming.
Since then, both the Malaysian and Indonesian media have been abuzz with reports of Manohara recalling her horrific experiences while the Kelantan prince denied them.
The sensational case also attracted the attention of media organisations around the world.
Come back or else…
In his first media statement since the controversy came to light in April, Tengku Muhammad has issued an ultimatum to his estranged wife.
The prince instructed his consort – who has since fled to Jakarta following a dramatic escape from Singapore – to return to his palace or face the consequences.
While the prince did not spell out what action he would take, filing for divorce will be one option.
“As her rightful husband, I am ordering that she as a loyal wife return to my side and execute her duties as a wife as stipulated by Islamic laws and as a princess,” he said.
“If she does not return as instructed by July 2, I will not hesitate to exercise my rights under the Islamic law and common law without referring to her,” he warned.
Tengku Muhammad also stressed that a wife’s place is with her husband.
“It is incumbent upon a wife to adhere to her husband’s orders as long as the orders do not contravene Islamic or common laws,” he said in the one-page statement.
Prince appoints two lawyers
The prince also revealed that he has appointed two lawyers, Zainul Rijar Abu Bakar and Mohd Haaziq Pillay, to oversee both the Islamic law and common law matters respectively.
Tengku Muhammad’s statement was released by Zainul’s firm, Zainul Rijal Talha & Amir.
Previously, Manohara had filed a police report in Jakarta against her husband and seven others.
She had also implicated the Kelantan sultan and his wife.
On June 11, Tengku Muhammad filed a police report in Kuala Lumpur denying the allegations and revealed that he is mulling taking legal action against Manohara and her mother Daisy Farjarina (photo).
Following this, Manohara appointed a Malaysian lawyer and an Indonesian news portal stated that she is considering three forms of actions – criminal prosecution, a civil suit and a divorce application.