The Power Of SMS

Hair straighteners blamed for big rise in children suffering burns

Posted in Uncategorized by malaysiasms on June 22, 2009
TIMES ONLINE

 

hair-360_577051a

Fiona Hamilton


A rise in the popularity of hair straighteners is partly to blame for the soaring number of children being admitted to hospital with burns, a charity says today.

The number of children hospitalised for burns has risen by more than 50 per cent in the past decade, even though the total number of accidents involving the age group has decreased.

The Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) said that the increase could be attributed partly to accidents with hair straighteners, with anecdotal evidence that hospitals are seeing increased numbers of children who have injured themselves with the hot irons.

Straighteners can reach temperatures of up to 220C (428F) and remain hot for up to eight minutes after they have been switched off.

A child’s skin is much thinner than an adult’s so the burns can cause permanent scarring.

According to NHS statistics, 233 children under 5 needed hospital treatment for burns in 1997-98. That increased to 358 in 2006-07.

Moya Sutton, executive nurse at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool, said: “We are seeing more and more children with burns due to hair straightener injuries, particularly on hands and feet. On average, at least 40 children a year are treated at Alder Hey for these type of burns and several have had to have skin grafts to repair these injuries. This is becoming a major area of concern for us, as parents just aren’t aware of these items as posing a threat.”

Katrina Roberts, chief executive of CAPT, said that Child Safety Week, which begins today, aimed to show parents how to prevent accidents. “It’s often the small changes that make all the difference,” she said. “The trick is to make them a habit, like putting your straighteners in the same place out of young children’s reach — that way you’ll feel less as if you constantly need eyes in the back of your head.”

One mother from Merseyside, Nicki, 32, who did not want her last name published, said that her son Jamie, 8 months, needed skin grafts after grabbing her hair straighteners and dropping them on to his legs. She said: “Just don’t use them at all near children and always put them high up on the highest unit to cool down. They are still hot for a long time.” Nicki faced a hospital investigation into her son’s injuries, although she was not held responsible. “I thought it was a safe distance,” she said. “I hadn’t realised they were still that hot. I wouldn’t have left them anywhere near him if I’d realised.” She now straightens her hair only when the children are not in the same room.

More information is available at http://www.childsafetyweek.org.uk or from Sure Start centres.

Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: