The Power Of SMS

Outrage over N Korea nuclear test

Posted in Uncategorized by malaysiasms on May 25, 2009

BBC.COM

North Korean soldiers at a mass rally to celebrate the country"s first nuclear test in 2006

North Korea insists it has a right to nuclear weapons

There have been expressions of international outrage after North Korea said it had successfully carried out a underground nuclear test.

US President Barack Obama described the North Korean action as a “threat to international peace” and said international action was called for.

China and Russia also condemned the test, but called for a return to talks.

A number of external agencies confirmed an explosion, probably associated with a nuclear test, had taken place.

It appeared to be a much more powerful blast than North Korea’s first nuclear test, in October 2006.

An emergency session of the UN Security Council is being convened by Russia, which currently occupies the council’s rotating presidency.

BBC world affairs correspondent David Loyn says North Korea appears to have moved from a posture of negotiation to confrontation over the nuclear issue.

‘Safeguarding sovereignty’

An official communique read out on North Korean state radio said another round of underground nuclear testing had been “successfully conducted… as part of measures to enhance the Republic’s self-defensive nuclear deterrent in all directions”.

 

David Loyn
David Loyn, BBC world affairs correspondent
Understanding the motivation behind the actions of this most secretive of powers is never easy, but North Korea does now appear to have moved from a posture of negotiation to confrontation.

Two years ago North Korea agreed to close its main nuclear plant at Yongbyon and reveal its nuclear assets. But it has since refused to allow in inspectors, and has now withdrawn from all negotiations.

Monday’s tests come a little over a month after a test of a long-range missile that threatened Asia and could have reached the US.

Neither pressure nor the offer of a large aid package have worked.

When it meets later on Monday, the UN Security Council will issue a strong statement of condemnation. President Obama is threatening action, but there are very few options left short of war.

 

It said the test had been “safely conducted at a new higher level in terms of explosive power and control technology”.

The test would “contribute to safeguard the sovereignty of the country and the nation and socialism”, the communique said.

The North gave no details of the test location, but South Korean officials said that a seismic tremor was detected in the north-eastern region around the town of Kilju – the site of North Korea’s first nuclear test.

Geological recordings of the tremor suggest it was much larger than the 2006 test. That was backed up by the Russian defence ministry, which detected a blast of up to 20 kilotons – comparable to the American bombs that flattened Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

Just hours after the test, North Korea appeared to have test-fired two short-range missiles, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported, but this was not confirmed.

In a strongly worded statement, President Obama said the North’s pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles threatened peace and was in “blatant defiance of the United Nations Security Council”.

 

 

“The danger posed by North Korea’s threatening activities warrants action by the international community. We have been and will continue working with our allies and partners in the six-party talks as well as other members of the UN Security Council in the days ahead,” his statement said.

A spokesman for South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said the test was “a provocation that can never be tolerated”, while Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Takeo Kawamura said any nuclear test by the North would be “unacceptable”.

Both said they would ask for action from the UN Security Council.

The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said he was “deeply disturbed” by reports of the test – which, if confirmed, he said would violate UN Security Council resolution 1718, which demands that North Korea refrain from nuclear testing.

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he condemned the test “in the strongest terms” and said it would “undermine prospects for peace on the Korean peninsula”.

Allies’ caution

Meanwhile, the foreign ministries of North Korea’s closest allies, Russia and China, echoed the words of condemnation.

 

NORTH KOREA’S SUSPECTED NUCLEAR TEST SITE
Map
Nuclear test on 25 May 2009 is thought to have been carried out at same site as October 2006 test

China said it was “resolutely opposed” to the test, while Russia called it “a blow to non-proliferation efforts”.

But both urged North Korea back to the negotiating table – with Russia saying six-party talks were the “only solution”.

Correspondents say both countries are fearful of the destabilising effect that military action or cutting off trade ties could have on their impoverished former protegee – with the spectre of millions of refugees pouring over their borders should the regime implode.

But with their shared policy of attempting to engage the North in dialogue having apparently failed, it is unclear what sway their approach will have when the UN Security Council meets later.

Last month, the UN Security Council adopted a statement calling on North Korea to comply with a 2006 resolution banning missile tests after it launched.

This was a weaker response than the full resolution sought by the US and Japan, due to resistance from Russia and China.

This time, correspondents say, they may be under pressure to back a stronger response.

Rocket condemnation

The North says it remains under military threat from its historic rival, South Korea, and South Korea’s allies, primarily the US – citing such examples as the annual US-South Korean military exercises undertaken in South Korea.

It says it is entitled to retain a military deterrent.

Six-party disarmament talks involving the US, China, Japan, Russia and the two Koreas have stalled over Pyongyang’s failure to agree how information it has handed over on its nuclear activities and facilities should be verified.

Pyongyang pulled out of the talks last month, in protest against international condemnation of its rocket launch.

North Korea had previously agreed to dismantle its Yongbyon nuclear facility as part of an aid-for-disarmament deal and, in response, the US removed North Korea from its terrorism blacklist.

But the North now believes it is no longer bound by its previous bilateral agreements with the US and agreements under the six-party talks, reports the BBC’s John Sudworth in Seoul, South Korea.

He says the North, which already faces a stringent sanctions regime, probably thinks it has little to lose.

Advertisements

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Gilbert West said, on May 26, 2009 at 4:18 am

    I don’t hear Israel threatening to take out North Korea’s nuclear capability. I wonder why?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: